Food For Thought
Christmas is a time for sharing, a time for gathering of friends and
family and a time to be thankful for the blessings provided to us
throughout the year.
But sharing your holiday leftovers with your companion animals should
be done with care and in moderation. Table scraps, especially turkey
bones, can be deadly to dogs and cats.
Turkey bones, like other bird bones, are hollow and will break easily
and splinter into very sharp pieces. When a dog or cat swallows the
bones they can become lodged in the throat or intestinal tract and cause
blockage or injury.
Symptoms may not occur for a day or two, but include loss of
appetite, depression, vomiting or diarrhea. Sometimes the splintered
bone will pass by itself but other times it may need to be surgically
A second problem that occurs in pets that are fed leftovers is
Salmonella food poisoning. Salmonella is an organism that lives in the
bird's intestinal tract. Cooking usually destroys the organism but
occasionally the center of the turkey may not be fully cooked. If the
meat sits out at room temperature too long, the salmonella organisms can
multiply and cause contamination.
Information obtained from the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA)
[Editor's Note: Turkey and other rich foods commonly cause
pancreatitis, which is very painful for pets. Save yourself a vet bill
and stick to raw veggie treats.]
Go on to
The Feastive Season Is Upon Us...
Return to 15 December 1999 Issue
Return to Newsletters
** Fair Use Notice**
This document may contain copyrighted material, use of which has not been
specifically authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that this
not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the
copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright
Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your
own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright