How do I clean cat urine?
Save yourself the trouble of going through this headache more than once
-- clean your cat's accident as thoroughly as possible.
On the carpet:
1. The moment you see your cat wet the carpet, get some
paper towels and blot up as much of her mess as you can.
2. Cover the spot with a towel or a pile of paper towels
and stand on them. You might have to change towels a couple of times!
3. When you've soaked up as much liquid as possible, get
out your carpet cleaner. If you don't have a carpet cleaner, a couple
drops of dish detergent mixed in water will do.
4. Rinse the spot by gently blotting -- scrubbing will
spread the stain and rub it deeper into the carpet.
5. Remember, never clean any cat accident with ammonia
6. When you're done, wet a sponge in tap water and rinse
the spot again.
7. Soak the spot with club soda for about ten minutes.
8. Blot up the club soda and place fresh paper towels or
clean white cloth towels over the stain.
9. Weigh down the towels with something heavy -- books,
furniture, a tank -- and leave overnight.
10. In the morning, spray the spot with an enzymatic
bacteria odor eater -- "Nature's Miracle" and "X-O" are just two of the
brands available at your pet supply store.
11. Let the product soak in, and keep the area wet and
warm for 24 hours; cover the area in plastic to keep it from drying out.
On the kitchen floor:
1. Wipe up the puddle with some paper towels or, if
necessary, a mop soaked in soapy water.
2. Don't use ammonia cleaning products on the scene of
the crime. The strong smell is a cat magnet, and will make that spot
your cat's favorite spray target. Instead, use dish soap or an all
3. Clean thoroughly and rinse with warm water.
4. When you're finished cleaning the spot, wipe it with
a rag or sponge dampened with white vinegar.
On hardwood and cement floors:
1. Use an enzymatic bacteria odor remover (like
"Nature's Miracle" or "X-O" on either surface for a quick fix.
2. Don't clean the spot with any ammonia cleaning
3. If the smell is really bad, you may unfortunately
have to pour another thin layer of concrete on your concrete floor, or
sand down, bleach, and refinish your hardwood floor.
4. In the meantime, leave open containers of vinegar in
the corners of the room to keep the area smelling fresh.
1. Machine-wash your laundry using a cup of white
vinegar and no detergent.
2. When your clothes are clean, wash them again just
like regular dirty clothes.
Go on to Vegetarian
Return to 12 January 2000 Issue
Return to Newsletters
** Fair Use Notice**
This document may contain copyrighted material, use of which has not been
specifically authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that this
not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the
copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright
Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your
own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright