(reprinted from a Dear Abby column)
1. Just one litter and then we'll have Fluffy spayed.
* Studies show that virtually the entire pet
overpopulation stems from "just one litter."
2. My dog doesn't run loose, so he doesn't need to be
* Murphy's law says otherwise.
3. We always find homes for the kittens/puppies.
* And that means that an equal number of kittens/puppies
at the pound will be killed.
4. I want the children to witness the miracle of birth.
* Rent a video.
5. My dog is so cute and unique, there should be more of
* The shelters and pounds are full of cute and unique
6. It's not natural.
* There hasn't been anything natural about dogs since we
began to develop breeds thousands of years ago.
7. I just couldn't look my dog in the eye if I had him
8. A female dog or cat should have at least one litter
for health reasons.
* Medically, factually and ethically indefensible.
9. Neutering my dog will make him fat and lazy.
* Too much food and not enough exercise make a dog fat
10. Fixing my pet will change his personality.
* The primary influences on an animal's personality are
the kindness and care with which he is raised.
Go on to The Strays
Return to 27 February 2000 Issue
Return to Newsletters
** Fair Use Notice**
This document may contain copyrighted material, use of which has not been
specifically authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that this
not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the
copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright
Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your
own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright