1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation
from you will be very painful.
2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
3. Place your trust in me -- it is crucial for my
4. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up
as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment. I
only have you!
5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I
understand your voice when it's speaking to me.
6. Be aware that however you treat me, I'll never forget
7. Before you hit me, remember I have teeth that could
easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.
8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative,
ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting
the right food, I've been out in the hot sun too long, or my heart may
be getting old and weak.
9. Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will grow
10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, "I
can't bear to watch it" or, "Let it happen in my absence." Everything is
easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.
Go on to
Return to 12 March 2000 Issue
Return to Newsletters
** Fair Use Notice**
This document may contain copyrighted material, use of which has not been
specifically authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that this
not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the
copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright
Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your
own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright