I accidentally poisoned our Dane (Samantha) and want to
pass on the details so others would not make the same mistake.
On Tuesday I sprinkled bone meal and Ortho "RosePride
Systemic Rose & Flower Care" around the cedar mulch surrounding the
roses in our rose garden. Later the area around each rose was hosed down
to wash the products into the mulch.
On Wednesday, "Sam" took an afternoon stroll and caught
the scent of the bone meal. Drawn to the scent she proceeded to lick the
bone meal residue and also the Ortho product.
Within 30 to 60 minutes she had developed diarrhea,
muscle tremors, was very unsteady on her feet, and was drooling saliva
from her mouth (she does not drool normally).
I immediately called our vet who luckily got us in right
away. The symptoms were worse and she was foaming severely from the
mouth with continual "dry heaves". He said something must be done
immediately or she would be dead within a few minutes as she was getting
ready to go into seizures.
Bill made an "educated decision" (there was no time to
do lab tests) based on her severe symptoms and diagnosed her as having
organophosphate poisoning (to check a product look under the "Physician
Warning" portion of the label).
He administered Atropine IV and IM. Then put her on an
IV drip. We watched her and prayed a lot through the next two days as
Bill continued the Atropine and IV's. Friday she got her appetite back
and that night the IV was removed and she was allowed to come home. She
is not out of the woods yet, but each day she gets a little more of her
strength back (she lost 15 to 20 pounds in a couple hours). However we
still don't know if she sustained any liver or kidney damage.
Once I realized what the cause of the poisoning was I
returned to the rose bed and worked the bone meal and fertilizer into
the mulch turning over the entire surface and washing everything down
thoroughly. I suggest anyone with a dog not use bone meal in conjunction
with fertilizer, but space their application so each has adequate time
to dissolve before applying the other.
Also work all products into the soil when working around
pets so as not to tempt them to eat something not designed for their
systems. I know this may sound simplistic, but knowing the attraction
dogs have to bone meal I made the mistake and almost lost a loved member
of my family.
I would appreciate you broadcasting this so more pet
owners are made aware of this potentially dangerous problem.
Thanks, Dave Paulsen
Source: "Jody" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Go on to Excuses For
Return to 30 April 2000 Issue
Return to Newsletters
** Fair Use Notice**
This document may contain copyrighted material, use of which has not been
specifically authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that this
not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the
copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright
Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your
own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright