INFORMATION FROM "DEAR ABBY"
submitted by molly firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep kitchen towels out of sight, for pets sake
Dear Abby: I am grief-stricken. Yesterday my husband & I
faced the awful experience of putting our 3 y.o. chocolate Lab to sleep.
For two or three days, he would not eat or drink & was lethargic &
vomiting. We took him to the emergency vet hospital. The vet examined
him & found "something" in his abdomen, which would require surgery to
remove. What they found in his intestines was part of a kitchen towel.
Unfortunately, the tissue around the towel was infected
& dead from the lack of blood supply to his intestines. The damage was
worse than anticipated & he began bleeding internally. He was too weak
to make it & we had to put him to sleep. To say that we're devastated is
I always hang a kitchen towel on the handle of the oven.
The towel probably smelled like food, which prompted him to chew it. To
top it off, when we came home from the surgery, our 1 y.o. puppy threw
up the other portion of the towel!
Abby, please make other pet owners aware of this
potential hazard. If sharing my story can spare someone else the
devastation of losing a pet, I'll gain some comfort
Go on to The Animal's
Return to 28 February 2001 Issue
Return to Newsletters
** Fair Use Notice**
This document may contain copyrighted material, use of which has not been
specifically authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that this
not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the
copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright
Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your
own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright