Animal Writes
11 April 2001 Issue
Warning! Dangerous Pet Toy

source - [email protected] 

A pet toy, the Wiggly Giggly Ball, is a hidden danger as it contains zinc-coated whistles encased in plastic. On 3/18/2001, "Maggie", our 2 y.o. wheaten terrier, experienced a painful death from zinc toxicosis after ingesting one of the three whistles. The ball packaging gives no warnings as to metal contents, so it appears rather safe.

The toy was featured on the Oprah Winfrey show last Christmas season & received the 1999 Toy of the Year award. It's a rugged green ball, without batteries, decorated with paw prints & makes amusing noises. Exact same ball has been marketed for children, but lacks paw prints. If a pet should ingest metal (confirmed by x-ray), it should be considered a medical emergency & extracted immediately via endoscope or surgery -- or the pet will deteriorate & may die.

Go on to A Holiday Prayer
Return to 11 April 2001 Issue
Return to Newsletters

** Fair Use Notice**
This document may contain copyrighted material, use of which has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that this not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Home Page




Your comments and inquiries are welcome

This site is hosted and maintained by:
The Mary T. and Frank L. Hoffman Family Foundation
Thank you for visiting

Since date.gif (991 bytes)