Position: One full-time intern
Legal - Job Duties
* Conduct legal research on potential lawsuits. Work with General
Counsel to determine whether or not there is a cause of action and
recommend course of action to pursue.
* Draft FOIA requests and state public records requests.
* Conduct legal research for Program Department on issues relating to
* Assist Government Affairs Coordinator with monitoring state and
federal legislation, recommending API position on bills, lobbying on
state and federal bills through letters, and phone calls.
* Prepare legal comments on proposed state and federal regulatory rule
To apply for the legal internship, the person must be a
law student with an interest in animal law.
Animal Advocacy - Job Duties
* Assist program staff in reviewing literature and public policy on
* Write correspondence and lobby letters, fact sheets, and action alerts
on animal advocacy issues.
* Research animal protection issues for Program Department on issues
relating to 2002 campaigns.
* Help update facts and statistics on website.
To apply the person must be an upper division graduate
Internship Location: The Animal Protection Institute
headquarters, 1122 S Street, Sacramento, CA
Term of Internship: 10 to 12 weeks, Summer 2002 (dates
Application Deadline: March 31st, 2002.
Number of Hours Per Week: 40 hours.
Stipend: $8.00 to $12.00 per hour depending on
experience -- no housing available.
Academic Credit: To be determined by academic department
Preferred Skills: Excellent research and communication
skills, computer literacy, prior experience in advocacy, strong interest
in animal law and/or advocacy.
Who We Are: API is a national non-profit animal advocacy
organization founded in 1968, dedicated to advocating for the protection
of animals from cruelty and exploitation. Regional, national, and
international programs focus on issues in the areas of captive exotic
animals, vegetarianism, wildlife, companion animals, and animal used in
science. Please visit www.api4animals.org for more information.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and writing sample
Nicole Paquette, General Counsel
Animal Protection Institute
1122 S Street
Sacramento, CA 95814.
Go on to Humans
Return to 10 March 2002 Issue
Return to Newsletters
** Fair Use Notice**
This document may contain copyrighted material, use of which has not been
specifically authorized by the copyright owners. I believe that this
not-for-profit, educational use on the Web constitutes a fair use of the
copyrighted material (as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright
Law). If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your
own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright