a different kind of coffee break with Gerry and Ray Coffey
Disease-Free Living Through Fitness and Nutrition
GUILT-FREE GOURMET by Gerry & Ray:
Recipes for those who wish to avoid salt/sugar/oils/flesh foods
More Recipes/Books & Info: email@example.com
Baked Eggplant Stacks with Roasted-Tomato Sauce
Submitted by: Courtney, from Cooking Light: This one is great. Roast the tomatoes first for a nice roasted/smokey flavor. Cam also top with soy cheese (Optional)
· 8 plum tomatoes (about 1 pound)
1 1/2 cups diced onion, divided
1/2 cup dry red wine (Optional)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup sliced onion
1/2 cup dry white wine (Optional)
20 garlic cloves, peeled (about 2 large heads)
1 cup canned vegetable broth
18 (1/2-inch-thick) slices eggplant (about 2 medium)
2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
Oregano sprigs (optional)
· Preheat oven to 425°.
Place tomatoes in a shallow baking dish coated w/small amount of water
Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Set aside.
· Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 cup diced onion; sauté 3 minutes in small amount of water. Stir in tomatoes, red wine, oregano, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes. Place tomato mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Set aside; keep warm.
· Saute in water sliced onion for 5 minutes. Add wine and garlic. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes. Stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes. Place garlic mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Set aside; keep warm.
· Place half of eggplant in a single layer on a baking sheet; broil 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant; set aside.
· Saute in water 1/2 cup diced onion for 3 minutes. Add spinach; cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; (this is where you would stir in the soy cheese) Preheat oven to 425°.
· Arrange 6 eggplant slices, 2 to 3 inches apart, on a baking sheet. Spread 2 1/2 tablespoons spinach mixture over each slice. Stack each with another eggplant slice, an additional 2 1/2 tablespoons spinach mixture, and remaining slices. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Arrange 1 eggplant stack on each of 6 plates; spoon 1/3 cup tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons garlic sauce on each plate. Garnish with oregano, if desired.
Return to Recipes
| Home Page | Articles | Programs | Recipes |
Please feel free to write to us with your comments and questions GMCoffey@aol.com
This site is hosted and maintained by:
The Mary T. and Frank L. Hoffman Family Foundation
Thank you for visiting all-creatures.org.