These vegan health articles are presented to assist you in taking a pro-active part in your own health.
1. Food and Nutrition Board, National Research Council: Recommended Dietary Allowances, 10th ed. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1989.
2. Bergstrom J, Hermansen L, Hultman E, Saltin B. Diet, muscle glycogen and physical performance. Acta Physiol Scan 1967; 71: 140-150.
3. Messina M, Messina V. The Dietitian's Guide to Vegetarian Diets. Gaithersburg, MD: Aspen Publishers, 1996.
4. Kerstetter JE, Allen LH. Dietary protein increases urinary calcium. J Nutr 1990; 120: 134-136.
5. Dwyer JT, Madans JH, Tumbull B, et al. Diet, indicators of kidney disease, and later mortality among older persons in the NHANES I epidemiologic follow-up study. Am J Public Health 1994; 84: 1299-1303.
6. Committee on Diet and Health, Food and Nutrition Board: Diet and Health. Implications for Reducing Chronic Disease. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1989.
7. Lappe FM. Diet for a Small Planet. New York: Ballantine Books, 1971.
8. Lappe FM. Diet for a Small Planet, 10th anniversary edition. New York: Ballantine Books, 1982.
9. Young VR, Pellett PL. Plant proteins in relation to human protein and amino acid nutrition. Am J Clin Nutr 1994; 59 (suppl): 1203S-1212S.
10. Position of The American Dietetic Association: Vegetarian diets. J Am Diet Assoc 1997; 97: 1317-1321.
11. Kies C. Bioavailability: A factor in protein quality. J Agric Food Chem 1981; 29: 435-440.
Return to Protein in the Vegan Diet
We began this archive as a means of assisting our visitors in answering many of their health and diet questions, and in encouraging them to take a pro-active part in their own health. We believe the articles and information contained herein are true, but are not presenting them as advice. We, personally, have found that a whole food vegan diet has helped our own health, and simply wish to share with others the things we have found. Each of us must make our own decisions, for it's our own body. If you have a health problem, see your own physician.