Preparation Verse: Exodus 20:12
12. “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be prolonged in the land which the LORD your God gives you.
Does our preparation verse for today about honoring our father and mother
imply in any way that we can dishonor someone else’s father or mother?
Before we go any further with this, let’s consider another Bible passage (Matthew 10:37).
37. "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.
Does this mean that we are not to love our parents and children?
Absolutely not; it simply means that we are not to put them before the Lord.
Does it in any way imply that we have permission to harm someone else’s parents or children as a way of honoring our parents, such as on this Mother’s Day?
Let’s look at one more Bible passage (Proverbs 12:10).
10. A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal,
But even the compassion of the wicked is cruel.
Does anything in this verse in any way imply that a righteous or Godly
person can be cruel to any animal?
Absolutely not; for only ungodly and wicked people would do that.
Then why do you think it is that the vast majority of people celebrate Mother’s Day by eating someone else’s mother or child?
And think about something else…Doesn’t every mother also have a mother?
So, if some people are going to celebrate Mother’s Day by having a backyard barbecue, and they cook hamburgers on the grill, those hamburgers most likely came from the tortured remains of a spent mother dairy cow.
And let’s say they celebrate by going to a restaurant where they order veal; they will be eating the tortured remains of the mother cow’s baby son, who has been chained up all his short life without sunlight or proper nutrition in order to keep him so anemic that his flesh is nearly white.
Or perhaps they are going to have grilled chicken, which is the tortured remains of a six or seven week old baby chicken that was so manipulated that his or her body weighs about four or five pounds.
What these people are doing is violating every one of the Bible verses we discussed above.
And to enjoy eating these animals, without giving a second thought to the horrible suffering these mothers and babies endured, shows the world around us how wicked and hard of heart these people really are.
There are many people who will argue with this and try to justify their lifestyles as did the Israelites, before they were taken away into captivity; but note what Ezekiel tells us in 36:26-31, when the Lord brings them back.
26. “Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
God is removing the same kind of hardness of heart found in people who are indifferent to the suffering of animals and don’t give a second thought about what they are doing when they eat them.
27. “I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.
The greatest of these is to love the Lord our God with every part of our being, which includes loving the whole of God’s creation and having the desire to protect it from all harm or evil.
28. “You will live in the land that I gave to your forefathers; so you will
be My people, and I will be your God.
29. “Moreover, I will save you from all your uncleanness; and I will call for the grain and multiply it, and I will not bring a famine on you.
30. “I will multiply the fruit of the tree and the produce of the field, so that you will not receive again the disgrace of famine among the nations.
Note carefully that God is multiplying the plant foods for us to eat
according to His creation and heavenly intent.
And nothing is mentioned about raising, killing, or eating animals, for God see the wickedness of this practice.
31. “Then you will remember your evil ways and your deeds that were not good, and you will loathe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and your abominations.
If we have a soft heart, we are to loathe the hardness of heart that we had.
If we have a soft heart, we are to loathe our former indifference to the suffering of animals and the way we ate mothers and children without a second thought.
If we have a soft heart, we will loathe ourselves for ever considering eating a mother or her child for Mother’s Day or on any other day.
However, we will rejoice in the fact that no one had to suffer or die for us to eat and be healthy, and enjoy ourselves.
Happy Mother’s Day!