Polluted clergy (pastors – priests – prophets) are one of the major
problems in Christianity and other religions today, for God’s heavenly will
for their lives has been polluted with the corrupted and ungodly ways of the
This happens in the same way that good drinking water can become polluted with sewage.
These polluted clergy (pastors – priests – prophets) make people spiritually sick, just as polluted water makes people physically sick.
Let’s think about this pollution as we are entering the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday season.
In Jeremiah 23:1-12, we are given several interesting comparisons of this pollution as we span the 2,600 years between the time that Jeremiah wrote these words and today.
1. "Woe to the shepherds who are destroying and scattering the sheep of My pasture!" declares the LORD.
These shepherds are the polluted clergy (pastors – priests – prophets) we are talking about in the church today, and the sheep are the members of the congregations.
2. Therefore thus says the LORD God of Israel concerning the shepherds who are tending My people: "You have scattered My flock and driven them away, and have not attended to them; behold, I am about to attend to you for the evil of your deeds," declares the LORD.
Every day we hear from people who have been turned away from the church because of the hardness of heart that they have encountered coming from the clergy and church leaders, particularly when it comes to animal issues and the people who care about them and don’t eat them.
3. "Then I Myself shall gather the remnant of My flock out of all the countries where I have driven them and shall bring them back to their pasture; and they will be fruitful and multiply.
The remnant are the compassionate people who have been driven away from the church, or who continue to struggle within the church, and who do their best to live as peacemaking children of God according to His heavenly will.
4. "I shall also raise up shepherds over them and they will tend them; and they will not be afraid any longer, nor be terrified, nor will any be missing," declares the LORD.
These shepherds are new clergy who have not been polluted by the evil and
corrupt ways of the world.
These are pastors, priests, prophets, and other leaders who are working to free creation from its present corruption, and end the suffering and death of millions of our fellow human beings and billions of animals every year.
5. "Behold, the days are coming," declares the LORD,
"When I shall raise up for David a righteous Branch;
And He will reign as king and act wisely
And do justice and righteousness in the land.
This righteous branch is Jesus Christ.
6. "In His days Judah will be saved,
And Israel will dwell securely;
And this is His name by which He will be called,
'The LORD our righteousness.'
This has not happened because the polluted clergy (pastors – priests – prophets) have rejected Jesus’ peaceful teachings in favor of the corrupted ways of the world and, as a result, have turned their congregation away from the heavenly will of God which has no place for pain, suffering, mourning or death.
7. "Therefore behold, the days are coming," declares the LORD, "when they
will no longer say, 'As the LORD lives, who brought up the sons of Israel
from the land of Egypt,'
8. but, 'As the LORD lives, who brought up and led back the descendants of the household of Israel from the north land and from all the countries where I had driven them.' Then they will live on their own soil."
This is all part of what will happen when we and the Lord, working together,
will end the corruption of creation, and the Lord will usher in His heavenly
reign here on earth.
Then Jeremiah looks at the present situation from his own position, and that of the others who are working diligently to turn people back to the heavenly will of God.
9. As for the prophets:
My heart is broken within me,
All my bones tremble;
I have become like a drunken man,
Even like a man overcome with wine,
Because of the LORD
And because of His holy words.
We feel this way and we hear from many other people all the time who feel
the same way.
There is just so much evil in the world around us that we feel helpless to end it, but struggle along anyway, for it is the only way we can think of to end the suffering and corruption around us.
10. For the land is full of adulterers;
For the land mourns because of the curse.
The pastures of the wilderness have dried up.
Their course also is evil,
And their might is not right.
11. "For both prophet and priest are polluted;
Even in My house I have found their wickedness," declares the LORD.
This is what we all need to overcome.
The time for the polluted clergy (pastors – priests – prophets) upon this earth is coming to an end, and we who are in the heavenly will of our Father as peacemaking children of God must continue to keep the pressure on until we have true and lasting peace for all living beings.
12. "Therefore their way will be like slippery paths to them,
They will be driven away into the gloom and fall down in it;
For I shall bring calamity upon them,
The year of their punishment," declares the LORD.
Let’s continue our discussion about the polluted clergy (pastors – priests – prophets) as we look at Colossians 1:9-20.
9. For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to
pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His
will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,
10. so that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God;
11. strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously
12. giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.
We need all of this blessing to take a firm stand against the evil and
corrupted ways of the world around us.
Let’s look at this from the position of turkeys.
Are they being allowed to live according to the creation and heavenly will of God?
No they’re not!
Because selfish and worldly people are causing them to suffer horribly and die by the millions so that they can gluttonously dine on their roasted corpses.
And what is even worse, the polluted clergy (pastors – priests – prophets) go right along with these ungodly ways and even encourage them, which in turn cause more corruption in the world around us.
13. For He delivered us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son,
This is why we can see the difference between good and evil, and take a peaceful stand against the evil and darkness in the world.
14. in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Just as the corrupted and polluted people in the world could have, if they repent and truly see to follow Jesus and the heavenly will of God.
15. And He is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all
16. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities — all things have been created by Him and for Him.
They were not created for suffering and death.
They were not created to support evil in the world.
They were created to honor God according to His heavenly and peaceful will.
17. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.
The Lord wants all of us and all the other animals to be held together in
He doesn’t want us torn apart, with a leg going to that person and a piece of breast going to this person to devour into the grave of their bodies.
He wants us to live in peace, for it is the only way we truly honor God.
18. He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the first-born from the dead; so that He Himself might come to have first place in everything.
Thus, the polluted clergy (pastors – priests – prophets) must go, for they are a hindrance to the Lord’s heavenly will upon this earth.
19. For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fulness to dwell in
20. and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.
The only way that all of creation can be reconciled to the Lord is to end
the corruption to which all of creation has been subjected.
Every one of us can help this to come about by becoming peacemaking children of God who do everything in their power to end the corruption of creation by living in the heavenly will of God.
If we’re willing, then look at what we’re wearing, and what we put on our plates.
If none of it contains any animal products, then we have moved away from the products of this corrupted earth and the polluted clergy (pastors – priests – prophets) who support the continued corruption, and we are truly honoring God, which is the real Thanksgiving.
Return to: Sermons Archive