Motherís Day heavenly reflection means that the celebration of Motherís
Day should also be a way of seeing the heavenly will of God in everything we
say and do.
Today is one of those special Sundays that celebrates several things: besides being the Lordís Day, it is also Motherís Day, but most importantly, it is Ascension Sunday which celebrates the Lord Jesus ascending back into heaven as proof of His ability to forgive us and save us from the evil ways of this world.
As we look at Psalm 97:1-12, letís see if we can find examples of the heavenly meaning of these holidays.
1. The LORD reigns; let the earth rejoice;
Let the many islands be glad.
The psalmist is calling everyone upon this earth to recognize who God is,
and to believe and rejoice.
Because His reign is above and beyond all the evil in the world with all its pain, suffering, bloodshed, and death, and even though this evil darkness seems to blind us from seeing the Lord, His righteousness and justice is above all the evil, and gives us the power to overcome it.
And, in order to overcome this worldly evil, we need to recognize that all our meals must likewise be free of pain, suffering, bloodshed, and death, such as the eating of animal products.
2. Clouds and thick darkness surround Him;
Righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne.
3. Fire goes before Him,
And burns up His adversaries round about.
4. His lightnings lit up the world;
The earth saw and trembled.
5. The mountains melted like wax at the presence of the LORD,
At the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
6. The heavens declare His righteousness,
And all the peoples have seen His glory.
This is the power that comes with being born of the Spirit of God and
becoming a child of God who lives in His heavenly will.
We can overcome the evil that surrounds us; we can!
Shouldn't all parents want this for children, and shouldn't all children want this for their parents and for their own children?
Of course they should, and this is what a Mother's Day heavenly reflection is all about.
7. Let all those be ashamed who serve graven images,
Who boast themselves of idols;
Worship Him, all you gods.
8. Zion heard this and was glad,
And the daughters of Judah have rejoiced
Because of Thy judgments, O LORD.
9. For Thou art the LORD Most High over all the earth;
Thou art exalted far above all gods.
10. Hate evil, you who love the LORD,
Who preserves the souls of His godly ones;
He delivers them from the hand of the wicked.
We cannot completely love the Lord if we still follow the corrupt ways of
this world, such as being indifferent to the suffering of animals and
supporting their exploitation, and continuing to buy and consume their
If we love the Lord, we will live in His light and reject the darkness of this world.
Isnít this also the meaning of the Lordís Day, and a remembrance of Jesusí ascension?
Then, shouldnít it also be a part of the celebration of Motherís Day?
We believe it should.
11. Light is sown like seed for the righteous,
And gladness for the upright in heart.
12. Be glad in the LORD, you righteous ones;
And give thanks to His holy name.
Our whole life should reflect our joy and happiness in being a peacemaking
child of God, who rises above the evil darkness of this world and gives
thanks to the Lord for saving us, so that one day we will ascend into heaven
to be with Him forever and ever.
In John 17:20-26, we are given a glimpse of how we are to pray to God by following the example of Jesus praying to His Father for His fellow believers, which also includes our being thankful for all that the Lord has given us.
20. "I do not ask in behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word;
Jesus is referring to true believers who do not live in the corrupt ways of this world and just say they believe; He is referring to the true believers who express their faith in both word and deed.
21. that they may all be one; even as Thou, Father, art in Me, and I in Thee, that they also may be in Us; that the world may believe that Thou didst send Me.
We should all desire to be one with God, and live like we really mean it.
22. "And the glory which Thou hast given Me I have given to them; that they may be one, just as We are one;
This is an example of unconditional love; just like all mothers (whether
human or animal) are to bestow on their children, and their children are to
give in return to their mothers; but it doesnít always happen in this
corrupt world, because our love has become limited and conditional, unlike
the love of Christ.
Doesnít this also mean that we should be celebrating Motherís Day in this heavenly will of God?
23. I in them, and Thou in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, that the world may know that Thou didst send Me, and didst love them, even as Thou didst love Me.
This is the way we should want our children to be, and if they are, the
people in the world around them will see the heavenly glory in their
parents, and also praise God.
This is also what makes for a happy Motherís Day, for mothers feel this unconditional love, which is of greater value than any card or material gift.
And at the same time, we need to remember that unconditional love does no harm to any other living being, which means that we are not to be eating someone elseís baby.
And Jesus goes on with His prayerÖ
24. "Father, I desire that they also, whom Thou hast given Me, be with Me
where I am, in order that they may behold My glory, which Thou hast given
Me; for Thou didst love Me before the foundation of the world.
25. "O righteous Father, although the world has not known Thee, yet I have known Thee; and these have known that Thou didst send Me;
26. and I have made Thy name known to them, and will make it known; that the love wherewith Thou didst love Me may be in them, and I in them."
This kind of unconditional love should be expressed by all children of God
who live in His heavenly will, and be passed on to their children, until
together we free creation from its present corruption.
Letís now look at Revelation 22:12-21 together, so we can hear the ascended Jesus talk about His return to earth.
12. "Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to
every man according to what he has done.
13. "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."
14. Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city.
All who have truly repented of their earthly ways and become children of God shall be able to enter the new Jerusalem.
15. Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.
Jesus is not talking about real dogs, but the slang word that was used in those days to describe the cult male prostitutes, who will be left out of the city with all the other evil and unrepentant people.
16. "I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, the bright morning star."
And His message is still being delivered to this very day; we hope and pray that we all have heard it and responded positively in all our celebrations and the way we live.
17. And the Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.
All of this awaits the peacemaking children of God.
And then John gives us a warning about what he has written concerning what he has seen and heard in heaven.
18. I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book:
if anyone adds to them, God shall add to him the plagues which are written
in this book;
19. and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.
And finally we are told to pray for Jesusí return in both our faith and prayer, and in everything we do and say, even if silently.
20. He who testifies to these things says, "Yes, I am coming quickly." Amen.
Come, Lord Jesus.
21. The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.
The grace is for all who believe and live in the heavenly will of God, and
who bring His will to earth as it is in heaven.
This is the way we should be celebrating Motherís Day.